One of the questions I get asked most often at bridal shows is, “How can a travel agent help with my honeymoon?” The second most common question I get asked is, “If you don’t charge a fee, how do you get paid?” But this is a topic for another time (smile).
Although I may be biased (obviously), a travel agent can really help enhance most honeymoon experiences by offering a number of services that you can’t find online:
- TAs can help you find your perfect location. Back in the dark ages when my husband and I went on our honeymoon, we had no idea where we wanted to go. Since I wasn’t a travel agent at the time, we employed the services of one Kathy Turner–and she made all the difference. She sat down with us, got to know us, talked about our must-haves and do-not-wants, and helped us find the perfect destination AND resort in Antigua. Without her, I’m afraid to think where we would have ended up. Long story short, TAs have the knowledge and personal experience (most, myself included, have visited numerous places and can offer unbiased opinions about locations and accommodations) to help honeymooners decide on the best location.
- TAs work with you and are there for you the entire time. After a booking is made, we won’t simply disappear. We will keep in touch with updates and travel advisories, send you information about excursions and what to do while you are honeymooning, remind you about payments and deadlines, offer packing checklists, stay in contact with the resort/hotel throughout your stay, and basically be there for you from providing pre-booking information until you return home. Our goal is to make sure that you have exactly what you expect–the trip of a lifetime!
- TAs know the “fine print” and which room photos are retouched. We can also help you understand the differences between service levels, because all resorts have their own idea of service. For example, a concierge room at a Mexican all-inclusive may not have the same amenities as a concierge room in Europe. We can help you understand these differences and prepare you in advance for what to expect.
- We will be honest about additional expenses. Let me give you a personal example. I had honeymooners at a Sandals resort in St Lucia. They splurged to have a private butler suite and stunning views of the ocean from their balcony. They asked about reserving a private, candlelit dinner on the beach (an additional $180). Instead of booking this for them, I explained that their room category included 24-hour room service from any menu. Instead of paying the additional fee, it would be more private and romantic to have the butler set up a special meal on the balcony. The couple took my advice–and were happy to not only save money but they knew that I had their best interests at heart.
- We will give you the best options. Please don’t confuse this with “we will give you the least expensive option.” The old saying “you get what you pay for” goes a long way (pun totally intended). Sure, we can offer you a package with 2 layovers on the way to Jamaica in a room overlooking a dumpster for a good deal. But we are not interested in finding you the cheapest option. Our goal is to find you the best option for your budget and must-haves. Sometimes this isn’t the best deal–but we will do everything we can to get you the best price on the best option.
Still unsure about using a TA? Then do some research, check out some wedding sites, or visit a vendor booth at a local bridal show. Heck, feel free to call and chat with me if you have questions–or post them in the comment section below. I’d love to help you get the best honeymoon experience possible. Remember, it may be the most important trip that you will ever take.