The Importance of a Name

AHHH! The honeymoon. A wonderful week in a beautiful destination. Before you get here, though, you need to first make sure that you have all of your travel requirements in order–beginning with your name.slide-06

Now that honeymoon planning season is in full swing, I often get asked a number of questions about names and how they should appear for international honeymoon travel. See some of the most common questions (and their answers) below.

  • How should I list my name for my honeymoon? If you are traveling internationally, the name on your travel documents must match the name on your passport.
  • Can I get a passport in my married name before the honeymoon? If you are honeymooning immediately after (within 2-3 days) of your wedding, you will need to get a passport in your maiden name. If you have more time between your wedding and your honeymoon, you may opt to apply for a passport in your married name (and have it expedited, if necessary). In this case, you will need to list your name on all travel documents as you will list it on your passport.
  • What if I accidentally list my name incorrectly for the travel documents? Although this will not be a deal breaker for the resort or hotel, it can cause a lot of issues with air travel. Funjet Vacations explains, “Most air carriers consider a name change to be a cancellation; to avoid penalties for name changes, full and complete names are required at time of booking.” If you notice any name discrepancies, be sure to notify your travel agent immediately.
  • Should I include my middle name on my passport? This is totally up to you. I usually suggest listing your name as it appears on your birth certificate to avoid any confusion.
  • What documents do I need to change my maiden name to my married name on my passport? If you already have a passport that you want to renew, you will need to send the following documents in with your completed application:
    • Current photo (must be a passport photo–you can get these at Walgreens)
    • Current, undamaged passport
    • Passport fee ($110.00)
    • Certified copy of your marriage certificate
  • How should I list my name if I am applying for a passport for the first time?
    • If you are applying for a passport in your maiden name, I encourage you to list your name as it appears on your birth certificate.
    • If you are applying for a passport in your married name, I suggest the following:
      • List your First Name as it appears on your birth certificate and/or marriage license
      • If applicable, list your Middle Name as it appears on your birth certificate
      • List your Last Name as it appears on your marriage certificate

For more information on what documentation you need in order to travel, please visit my previous article “Passports and Other Necessary Travel ID.” To find out more about applying for or renewing your passport, please visit the U.S. Department of State Bureau of of Consular Affairs. Happy Honeymooning!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s